Warning: file_get_contents(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home3/buzzybee/public_html/wp-content/plugins/tk-social-share/tk-social-counter.php on line 88
Warning: file_get_contents(http://urls.api.twitter.com/1/urls/count.json?url=http://www.fanboyninja.com/my-top-picks/ultimate-comics-thor-3/): failed to open stream: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home3/buzzybee/public_html/wp-content/plugins/tk-social-share/tk-social-counter.php on line 88
Story: Jonathan Hickman
Pencils: Carlos Pacheco
Inks: Dexter Vines
Colors: Edgar Delgado
The Nazi Army joins forces with Frost Giants to destroy Asgard. Before they attack, the Nazis are persuaded over by the giants to drink the blood of fallen Heimdall, supposedly to give the humans more strength and power. The young Loki murders Balder. Odin meets his doom. The end of the Asgardian gods is at hand. Again!
- The Nazis and the Frost Giants breaking into Asgard’s walls.
- The Final(?) Stand of the Warriors Three in 1939 – Volstagg, Fandral, Hogun.
- The surprising fall of Odin during the attack of the Nazis and the Frost Giants.
- A flashback to the younger days of our favorite Asgardians gives readers yet another look at Loki’s cunning, not to mention his murderous intents.
- Loki as the man behind Baron Zemo’s hood – I still can’t get over this twist.
- The artwork, particularly the colors, is impressive. I just do not like Thor’s and Fandral’s look in 1939.
- Well, obviously this is another Thor storyline in preparation of his upcoming movie. Talk about milking the cow dry.
- The story in each issue of Ultimate Comics Thor is split into three eras or ages – the present day, the Nazi Era in 1939, and the age when Thor and the boys were still young. The reader basically has to shift through these periods and risk muddling up the timelines. I think it would have been more convenient for the readers if the story ran on a straight timeline from the past to the present. I still don’t know if the constant time-shifting serves a bigger purpose, like in Justice League Generation Lost were time travel is actually a central theme of the storyline.
Ultimate Comics Thor #3 offers solid action scenes that comic book readers will surely enjoy. I particularly like the 1939 Nazi-era and the Ages Past portions of the storyline. For hardcore fans of the Thunder God, this issue, nay, this series is a must have.