Story: Peter J. Tomasi
Pencils: Fernando Pasarin
Inks: Cam Smith, Oclair Albert, Fernando Pasarin
Colors: Randy Mayor
The War of the Green Lanterns looms and this comicbook is a key episode leading to that event. A mentally corrupted Sodam Yat sees Guy Gardner as one of the Guardians and all hell breaks loose between them. Sodam is pretty enraged with the Guardians after what happened in Blackest Night. Zardor exploits this anger so he can have the perfect weapon against the Guardians on his side.
A beaten Guy Gardner finds himself in a very tight spot – tight as in the belly of a serpent. But just like Popeye, Guy manages to get his Spinach in the form of Red Lantern Bleez’ oral discharge. Yes, they actually kissed and swapped spit. Filled with powerful rage, Guy forces his way out of the snake that swallowed him, resulting in the bloodiest and grossest artwork I’ve seen in recent weeks. It’s just plain awesome!
But the big surprise doesn’t stop there. Kilowog and Arisia returns to help Guy Gardner in the nick of time. Before you know it, the battle between the Emerald Warriors and Zardor ends. But Guy can’t call it a day. A defeated Zardor brings along the brainwashed Sodam Yat to take revenge against the Guardians. Guy would have taken the shot to stop the two, but Arisia had other plans.
- Green Lantern Emerald Warriors #7 gives comics readers an idea of what to expect in the coming War of the Green Lanterns.
- While this issue is truly action-packed, I’m also impressed with the fast pace at which the story moves. This is definitely not a filler comicbook.
- Action scenes are very striking (and at times gross in a good kind of way). Artist Fernando Pasarin gives a genuine treat for comics fans.
- “Kiss me you red bitch!” – Guy Gardner to Bleez. A terrific line, but was Guy referring to the lipstick or to the spit?
- I don’t have any problem with this issue. But if you expect it to be a self-contained comicbook finale where the characters all go home happy or pose for posterity, you’d be quite disappointed.
Emerald Warriors sets the stage up for another Green Lantern big event. No doubt, it is one of the best titles to come from DC Comics recently. Green Lantern fans should not miss this issue or this entire series. So, get your rings on, Poozers!