Story: Eric Shanower
Art: Skottie Young
Colors: Jean-Francois Beaulieu
Comic book fans who have been following the latest adventures of the characters based on the classic Wizard of Oz novels by L. Frank Baum have definitely noticed the absence of the Tin Woodsman, Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion and Princess Ozma in the last three issues. Well, this comicbook ends all that.
Along with the elite army of Oz and a new character called the Hungry Tiger, the four comrades have marched across the Deadly Dessert and into the Kingdom of Ev in an attempt to rescue the members of that kingdom’s royal family.
But little did the Tin Woodsman, Scarecrow, and the Cowardly Lion know that they will find their friend Dorothy Gale locked up in one of the towers of Ev. Princess Ozma pressures Ev’s Regent Princess Langwidere to free Dorothy and her friends Billina and Tik-Tok, the mechanical man.
The stage is set for the big showdown against the Nome King, who imprisoned the rightful rulers of the Land of Ev. But first, someone wants to have a big bite out of Billina the Hen and that can prove to be a big conflict among friends.
- Smooth flowing narrative. It’s just like reading the classic novel.
- The dialogues between the major characters are witty, yet very evocative of childlike innocence. This series from Marvel Comics is a good read for young ones.
- Skottie young delivers yet another unique artwork in this issue. Character expressions are full of energy.
- The Hungry Tiger’s character is just delightfully charming.
- I’ve got no real complaints about this issue, except that in some panels the artwork and the color work do not mix that well, making the drawings looking a bit like abstract work.
This issue essentially shows us what Princess Ozma is made of. Her storming of the kingdom of Ev and bearing down on Princess Langwidere to release Dorothy and her friends bring out the kind of ruler that she is – arrogant but very wise. The big question is would she be up for the challenge of freeing the Queen of Ev from the Nome King?